HERE IS HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED WITH SUNSHINE DIVISION!
We are offering in-person volunteer opportunities once again!
Here are a few essential volunteer opportunities we are seeking:
- Deliver Food Boxes– must be able to lift and carry 30lbs and have a valid driver’s license and auto insurance (seeking 50 – 75 total volunteers)
- Pack Food Boxes– a small opportunity with a distanced group of volunteers working to pack stable food into boxes for distribution within Portland (seeking 30 total volunteers)
- Sort Food Donations– this opportunity will be at our Thompson Street location and will involve sorting dry food donations for distribution (seeking 10 total volunteers)
- To connect further and sign up, please use the buttons below to download our two volunteer forms, fill them out, save them on your computer, then email them to our volunteer coordinator, Andrew, at the email provided below. Be sure to share in the email which volunteer opportunity you are most interested in.
Individuals and Families
We encourage individuals and families to volunteer with Sunshine Division. From volunteering at an event, to packing emergency food boxes in our warehouse, volunteers play a vital role in the success of our organization. To work in our active warehouse, children volunteering must be 14 years of age or older for safety reasons.
Corporate and Community Groups
Volunteering at Sunshine Division is a great team-building experience for groups of various sizes. Whether you are a large corporation or a small club, your group will work together on a hands-on project that helps families in the Portland area. We ask that groups not exceed 20 people, based on our space and staffing limitations.
We can almost always accommodate groups that want to volunteer. Activities vary based on current needs – packing emergency food boxes, sorting food, sorting clothing, even painting projects. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com for more information and to schedule a volunteer opportunity for your group.
Group volunteering can happen almost anytime, including weekends. Please contact us at least one month in advance to schedule your volunteer time.
Volunteering at Events
Sunshine Division organizes
Volunteering in the Warehouse
If you are looking for a regular opportunity, at either our SE Stark Street or N Thompson Street locations, during our business hours Monday through Saturday, please contact us. Possibilities include: working in our clothing room, handing food out to clients, sorting food, and more. We conduct background checks on all volunteers who will be in our warehouse.
We love our volunteers!
If you’re looking for more creative ways to get involved, like how to host a virtual food drive, we invite you to visit our “Fundraise on our Behalf” webpage.
Monday - Friday:
9:30 to 11:00am &
12:30pm to 3:30pm
9:00am to 1:00pm
Supporting the Sunshine Division for Generations to Come
We know you care about families struggling to get by. And you know that your regular gifts to the Sunshine Division are a vital part of the support and HOPE we provide to people experiencing hunger.
Now there is a way you can assure that your generosity will continue to support those most in need for decades to come. Legacy or Planned gifts through your estate assure the Sunshine Division will here for our community’s most vulnerable residents both now and in the future.
Leave a legacy. To learn more about how to help us achieve our vision of assuring that emergency food relief is always available to ALL hungry people in our community, please review the following ways to make a meaningful charitable gift through your estate or call Marcie Kessel at 503-320-2638 or
Make a Bequest Gift
A bequest through your will is one of the simplest, most widely used and flexible ways to make a planned gift. You pay nothing now but make a real difference in the lives of others. If you have already made provisions for the Sunshine Division in your estate plans, download our Estate Giving Confirmation form [Heritage Society Form]. We would appreciate the opportunity to thank you now for the difference your gift will make for years to come.
The following language can be used to make an estate gift to the Sunshine Division:
- Unrestricted Gift: “I give (a specific asset) or ($__ dollars) or (__ percent of the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate) to the Sunshine Division, Inc., Portland, Oregon, for its general purposes.”
- Specific Use Gift: “I give (a specific asset) or ($__ dollars) or (__ percent of the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate) to the Sunshine Division, Inc., Portland, Oregon, to be used for the following purpose: (state the purpose, e.g., to fund annual holiday food boxes, to support Izzy’s Kids, or other purpose)“If at any time in the judgment of the Sunshine Division Board it is impossible or impracticable to carry out exactly the designated purpose, the Board shall determine an alternative purpose as near as possible to the designated purpose.”
- Important Information for Your Attorney/Advisor
- Please note: The Sunshine Division’s activities and programs change over time and the needs of future generations may not be in alignment with current programs. If you indicate a specific use for your estate gift, the following language will grant the Sunshine Division the authority to respond to changing needs:
- Legal Name: Sunshine Division, Inc.
Tax ID# 93-0429354 – an Oregon non-profit corporation
Physical and Mailing Address: 687 North Thompson Street, Portland, OR 97227
* The purpose of this information is for general knowledge and is not meant to be legal advice. Tax deductions vary based on applicable federal laws. It is recommended that you consult your attorney when preparing your bequest/will.
You can designate the Sunshine Division as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy. Contact your advisor to make arrangements.
Retirement Plans/IRA Gifts
Whether you have an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) or a company retirement plan (or a combination) you can choose a charity like the Sunshine Division as the final beneficiary of any remaining funds which you or your loved ones do not use. Or you can designate all (or a percentage) of your retirement fund account to benefit one or more charities without losing any income during your lifetime.
Advantages for Donors
- The donor retains all income rights and benefits of the fund assets for his/her lifetime—nothing is transferred prior to the donor’s death. The property passes on to your designated beneficiaries upon death.
- Gifts bypass income tax that would otherwise be assessed to heirs at death.
- Possible estate tax savings.
- Contact your fund administrator for more information and to request a change of beneficiary form.
Do you have questions or want to discuss other ways you can give? Please give us a call! We would welcome the opportunity to meet with you and your advisors, and help you decide on the type of gift that works best for you, your family and the Sunshine Division. Contact Kyle Camberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-823-2131.
Tuesday – Friday
9:30am to 11:00am
12:30pm to 3:30pm
9:00am to 1:00pm